Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum on April 15 said at a meeting of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters at Government-Complex Seoul, "The current curfew of midnight for the business hours of multipurpose facilities and the 10-person cap for a private meeting will all be lifted from April 18."
He added that the 299-person limit on large-scale events and rallies and the cap of 70% of attendance capacity at houses of worship will also be scrapped.
In addition, the ban on eating at movie theaters, indoor athletic facilities, religious centers and multipurpose facilities will be lifted from April 25.
"As the government has pledged, we intend to lift social distancing measures that were deemed important symbols of quarantine measures, given how the quarantine situation has stabilized and the medical system's capacity has been confirmed," the prime minister said. "Thus this will enable the resumption of a gradual return to daily life that had been paused since December last year."
The mask mandate, however, will remain both indoors and outdoors.
"Masks remain a crucial means of protecting oneself from infection, so maintaining the mask mandate indoors for a considerable time is inevitable," he said. "Since being outdoors incurs a relatively lower risk, we will make a decision on the mask rule after evaluating the quarantine situation for two weeks."
The COVID-19 infection alert from April 25 will be adjusted from Level 1 to 2.
"If the level is fully adjusted, many changes will ensue like changing the quarantine mandate, which has been in effect for more than two years, into a recommendation, and repealing in-home treatment that was adopted at the end of last year," he added.
"Please remember that the situation of recovery of daily life goes with COVID-19 and to continue observing quarantine rules such as vaccination, mask wearing and regular ventilation."